Wednesday, January 4, 2012

DAY 3-Stupid Sugar (as reported from Day 4)

I was all ready to post last night about how great I was feeling and blah blah blah and the WHAM-O! I was knocked over with the most ridiculous headache and my energy completely bottomed out. I have been having some nagging headaches over the Christmas break, but I attributed those to no longer drinking my daily cup of coffee at work. But this one, this was different.

I actually had a great day back at work. I was alert and never got hungry or got tempted by anything. I come home from work and ran to the grocery store and came home and cooked like a mad woman.

**Side note** The way Paddy and I are reacting to this diet change has been pretty surprising. I have had a decrease in hunger. I never really feel starving or anything. And when I eat, I never feel full. You know, the uncomfortable stuffed feeling. I like it.
Paddy, on the other hand, is a ravenous beast. No matter how much I feed him, he is always starving. I realized somewhere during day 2 that I was going to have to have the fridge over stocked with easy to eat meals to keep him from wasting away. My guess is that he is withdrawling from his carb addiction. Hopefully his appetite will balance out as his body adjusts to not getting 2 PB&J sandwiches as snacks and a side of "insert white carb here" with every meal. I have been gluten-free for over a year, so I think I had a much shallower adjustment to the loss of carbs from my day.

Back to yesterday, I was cooking like an animal. Or maybe someone who likes to cook and eat animals. I felt like a master chef on meth. It was a sight to see. Then, I sat down and, like a wave, my mood took a nose dive, my head was killing me and I could not pull out of it. I wrapped up my last meals and went to bed. It was the only solution.

Here is my theory: I had way more sugar in my diet than I had realized. I do not consider myself a sweet tooth. I mostly craved salt, crunchy snacks. But, when I really sat down and thought about it, I guess I had a lot of sneaky sugar in my diet. A couple packets of sugar in my coffee (and then 2 more with the refill and then 2 more in my mug after lunch), sweetened creamer in those same cups of coffee, some sweet candies to "keep me awake" at work, sugar in sauces and packaged foods, a bite of ice cream...it goes on and on. Maybe I don't sit down and eat a bag of cookies like someone who I might consider a sweet tooth, but I eat me some sugar. So, I am blaming sugar from my headaches and now I hate sugar.

Stupid sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment